Strategy for IIFTCATKing
“Never attempt an IIFT Entrance Test without a well-defined strategy”
– Most of the IIFT Toppers
The above quote says it all. The difficulty level of the IIFT Entrance Test keeps changing every year. So having a strategy towards your preparation will help you in covering all your bases.
A few key points to remember:
- IIFT is an exam which has a differential marking system. Which means that each section has a different value of marks attributed to the questions in it respectively. A section can have all the questions with the same marks attributed to it. At the same time, questions with different marks can also be found in the same section.
- The exam is paper-based. Therefore, navigating in-between questions is easier as compared to a computer-based test. Also, students can attempt the paper without any worry about technical glitches and so on.
- There are cut-offs for each section. Keeping that in mind is key to achieving a good score.
Following are some guidelines to help you with your preparation:
1) Mocks: No MBA Exam preparation is complete without giving mocks. Attempting mocks is one of the most important things in a student’s preparation. Keep giving mocks and previous years’ papers regularly to make your-self accustomed to the IIFT paper pattern. Initially, a mock a week would be ideal. Give at least 3-4 mocks in the final week before the d-day. This will help you to be at your best on the day of the exam.
2) Time & Accuracy: For cracking IIFT, the ratio of time taken for a question to the accuracy of your answer, is extremely important. Too much time on a question will give you high accuracy, but hamper your speed. While hasty approximations and attempts will hamper accuracy and lower your score. The key to increasing your time and accuracy ratio would again be to give more mocks.
3) Chose Wisely: While practicing mocks, your strategy should be to get over with the easy questions first. The easier the questions, the greater the accuracy. Also, such questions can be solved quickly. So, in a way, it will increase your time & accuracy ratio significantly.
4) Syllabus: IIFT question paper usually covers most of the topics in each subject. So it would be prudent to avoid skipping any subject in your preparation.
5) Concepts: Most of the questions in quantitative ability, along with some questions in verbal are based on proper concepts. It will not be possible to solve them just based on pure logic alone. Topics like Algebra, Geometry and Modern maths contain a lot of terms and concepts. Many questions will incorporate the same. Therefore, get yourself familiarized with the different concepts that you come across, while preparing.
6) General Knowledge: Do not take this section lightly while preparing. A good score in GK can shoot up your total score. Keep studying and more importantly, keep revising whatever you learn in this subject. You should be updated on the current affairs, at least up to the month before the exam. Therefore, keep reading that newspaper daily.
7) DI: The data interpretation questions are pretty intensive. They will consist of long tables and complex data sets along with questions demanding lengthy calculations. However, the ones involving lengthy calculations are usually pretty straight-forward. So start familiarizing yourself with such questions so as to avoid any panic/frustration on the day of the test. Increasing your calculation speed would help to minimize the time taken for each question. This will hold true for the lengthy calculations in certain Quant questions as well.
8) RC: Remember, for IIFT, it is highly advisable to read the questions first before solving the passage. It will save a lot of time and give you that extra time needed for the other questions. Another way of saving time would be to simultaneously keep increasing your reading speed.
9) Verbal Ability: Keep your grammar basics intact and you can sail through the sentence correction questions. Also, a good vocabulary is undoubtedly key to sailing through most of the questions. So, improving your vocab would be something to focus upon.
Now that you know how to prepare, it’s time to get started. Maximize your scores with these tips. Emerge a winner!
47 total views, 2 views today