Everything you need to know about MBA in DesignCATKing
What is MBA in Design?
MBA in design management is a two-year post graduate program. Design is a universal phenomenon that extends into every field- be it, Art, Advertising, Information technology, Medicine, Architecture etc. With the development in the social and virtual channels, a business firm has more options to promote its business. Design helps promoting goods and services, thus bringing efficiency in the business flow. A practical idea about design, latest trends and how it affects the corporate practices, has become an essential part of business strategy. Thus every business firm needs experts with such practical knowledge about design. This need has created the necessity of graduates who have an MBA in Design.
Why choose MBA in Design?
MBA in design management focuses on the making of business managers who understand the value of design and how to use it to improve business and customer satisfaction. This program enhances the understanding and knowledge of design and students learn how to use it as key component of business management. Students learn the core marketing concepts, accounting concepts, how to keep updating design concepts with the changing trends in the market, consumer behavior etc. Students use their creative and innovative skills with strong foundations in project management, strategic management, operations and supply chain managements etc to promote businesses.
What are the topics included in this course?
Some of the topics that are included in this course are as follows:
- Ethics in Design
- Principles of design management
- Lifestyle space design management
- Mall management
- Financial management
- Strategic management
- Design Research in the Social Sector
- Organizational behavior
- Production and operation management
- Emotional Human Factors
- Leadership and Innovation
- Trans-cultural stories
- Fashion retailing and visual merchandising
Who can do MBA in Design?
Students with a graduate degree of any stream (arts, commerce or science) can apply for MBA in Design. The student should have a clear idea about good or bad design and should be capable of adding value to the respective area of the business firm he is working for.
What are the career opportunities?
The key areas where design management professionals are hired are:
- Fashion designing
- Information technology
- Real estate
- Hotels and resorts
- Automobile industry
- Environment designing
- Construction companies
- Tile and Textile industry
Some of the job profiles of such design management professionals are:
- Product manager
- Creative director
- Design manager
- Strategy and business development manager
- Brand manager
- Marketing manager
- Innovation strategist
- Product development manager
- Interaction design director
Top colleges for Design Management are:
- International Institute of Fashion Design (IIFD) – Mumbai
- Pacific University – Rajasthan
- National Institute of Design (NID) – Ahmedabad
- Institute of Apparel Management – Mumbai
- Advance Institute of Business Management – Haryana
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology – Bangalore
- Institute of Apparel Management – Gurgaon
- IIT Bombay – Mumbai
- Swami Vivekanand Subharti University – Uttar Pradesh
- JJ School of Arts – Mumbai