TISS (TATA Institute of Social Sciences) How Is It Unique?CATKing
Tata Institute of Social Sciences an institute which is best known for offering MA in HRM (Human Resource Management) & LR (Labour Relations). Established in the year 1936 as Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work, was later named Tata Institute of Social Sciences(TISS) in the year 1944. In the year 1964 TISS was declared as Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act(UGC), 1956.
Tata Institute of Social Sciences has a vision and mission of being the house for excelling in higher education and respond to the changing social realities through development and application of knowledge. To promote and protect dignity, equality, social justice and human rights. They have 20 Schools, 8 Independent Centers and 45 Centers.
They conduct an entrance test which is known as TISSNET. Which are offered at all their campuses. TISS-NET is a computer-based entrance exam. The entrance test consists of objective questions related to Social Sensitivity, Logical Reasoning, Analytical Ability and Knowledge on Contemporary issues. The exam is held for 100 minutes (1 hour & 40 minutes). Candidates are first shortlisted based on TISS NET scores. They are later called for Pre-Written Test or/and Personal Interviews.
The eligibility criteria for this exam is:
- Candidates with bachelor’s degree (minimum of three years’ duration) or equivalent from a recognized university are eligible to apply.
- At the time of applying, candidates studying in three-year degree programmes should have passed all subjects from first to fourth semesters; while candidates studying in four-year degree programmes should have passed in all subjects for first to sixth semester.
- Only those candidates who will be able to complete all the requirements of their final year Bachelor’s Degree examinations by the first week of June 2017 are eligible to apply to all the programme.
- There’s no age limit for TISSNET exam.
They have teaching programmes as follows:
- Masters’ Programmes
- Doctoral Programmes
- Bachelors Programmes
- Short Term Programmes
- Online Programmes
- Open & Distance Learning (ODL) Programmes
Resource Centres offered by them:
- Computer Centre
- Sir Dorabji Tata Memorial Library
- Publications Unit
- International Relations Office
They have campuses at Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, Guwahati, G-SET Ranchi, IMHST Chennai, MHAT Calicut. Apart from all the above mentioned programmes and amenities, what sets TISS apart and make it unique is that they have 33% quota for girls. Also, TISS is second best college for pursuing Master’s in Human Resource Management. They have around 550 seats available and according to statistics only 5000 students appear for their entrance test which is TISSNET.
Tata Institute of Social Science is thus unique for being the best in HR program. For having 33% girls’ quota and for having various other teaching programmes and centres.