1. The world’s biggest-ever X- ray laser “European XFEL” has generated its first X-ray laser light from which country?
Explanation: European X-ray Free Electron Laser (XFEL), the biggest X-ray laser in the world, has generated its first beam of light in a 3.4 km-long underground facility from the German city of Hamburg to the town of Schenefeld that will allow scientists to get a glimpse of new materials, drugs and chemical reactions at the atomic level. The laser’s light is a billion times brighter than the typical light sources normally used in particle accelerators.
2. Which committee has been constituted by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) to lay down technical standards for performance of core services?
[A] R B Barman committee
[B] Nand Lal Sarda committee
[C] Pulak Ghosh committee
[D] V G Kannan committee
Explanation: The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has constituted a technical Committee in accordance with Regulation 14 of the IBBI (Information Utilities) Regulations, 2017. The committee will be headed by Dr. R. B. Barman, who is the chairman of National Statistical Commission (NSC). The committee shall give its recommendation for laying down Technical Standards for the performance of core services like the Application Programming Interface, standard terms of service, registration of users, unique identifier for each record and each user, etc.
3. Captain Chand Roop, who passed away recently, was associated with which sports?
Explanation: Captain Chand Roop (87), the Dronacharya awardee and acclaimed wrestler coach, has recently passed away in Delhi. He took up wrestling after joining the Indian Army in 1948. He was a former National champion who became a coach to train the Army wrestlers. There he produced Asian Games bronze medallist and former Bharat Kesari title winner Netrapal and another prominent wrestler Vijay Kumar.
4. The 2017 India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit was held in which city?
[C] New Delhi
Explanation: The 2017 India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit (IITLS) was organized by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in New Delhi from May 3. The purpose of the 3-day summit was to facilitate constructive dialogue between various stakeholders for the development of multimodal infrastructure in the country. In it, 34 investment MoUs amounting to about Rs 2 lakh crores were signed. These MoUs were in the areas of port connectivity, Integrated Check Posts (ICP), multi modal logistics parks, etc.
5. Which state government has recently signed an agreement with United Nations and IIIT for setting up innovation lab in the state?
[A] Madhya Pradesh
6. Justice (retd) Leila Seth, the renowned jurist has passed away. She was the first woman chief justice of which high court?
[A] Himachal Pradesh high court
[B] Madhya Pradesh high court
[C] Andhra Pradesh high court
[D] Kerala high court
7. Who has won the 2016 Wisden-MCC (Melbourne Cricket Council) Cricket Photograph of the Year?
[A] Paul Miller
[B] Adrian Murrell
[C] Nigel Davies
[D] Saqib Majeed
8. The International No diet day (INDD) is observed on which date?
[A] May 7
[B] May 8
[C] May 6
[D] May 5
9. Which country’s hockey team has won the 2017 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup?
[B] New Zealand
[D] Great Britain
10. Adolph Kiefer, the swimming legend has passed away. He hailed from which country?
[A] United States