The main motive for B-schools in taking the G.D. is to do mass-elimination. Another motive is assessing the students by treating them the future managers because Making a good impression while speaking in meetings is the basic skill every professional should have. Talking about the GD-PI experience I would say that the key factors which influences this final selection round is the right body language, communication skills, and a good about of General Knowledge. Sometimes there are Case Discussions and sometimes you can be given any Abstract topic too.
I have given several GDs in my life and there was variety of topics around which GD was conducted. As far as participation in G.D. is considered, please make note of the following points: –
- Make an effective group participation.
- Optimum Speech, i.e. try to perform better than the average
- Content Richness
- Try to initiate or end the G.D. (Avoid doing both the things)
- Never over-participate in the G.D. (i.e. not more than 3 times)
- Dress in proper business attire
Now for interview, prepare answers for some typical questions, e.g. “Tell me something about yourself”, “Why do you want to do an MBA”, “Where do you see yourself five years from now” etc. Answering these questions confidently will impress the interviewer and your chances of getting selected increases. A good sense of humour is always helpful. You should not look freaked out to am=n interviewer. I always try to make my interview as stress-free as possible and I think this approach really helped me. One should not be too much formal.
There are certain points to follow for PIs: –
- Dress in properbusiness attire and carry yourself in a confident manner. Try to make eye contact with the interviewer and make appropriate hand movements while answering the questions.
- Don’t make vague explanations for the topics you are uncertain of. Speak your points clearly and never try to question the interviewer the same question, this is very negative.
- Don’t fakeabout your personality because the interviewers are smart enough to know who you really are.
- If you are interested for pursuing your Management degree in one particular domain (e.g. Marketing), then please try to have a basic understanding of it. Tell your short-term and long-term goals in the career if interviewer asks you. Also get a fundamental knowledge of what are the new Business Trends and how a business functions.
About the author:
Abhinav Sharma is an Information Technology professional with a Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) focused in Electronics and Communication Engineering. He is currently pursuing PGP in Management from Indian Institute of Management, Sirmaur. His interests include trekking and travelling. In his free time, he loves to do theatre.