How to crack IELTS
What is IELTS?
To crack IELTS students must be aware of everything about the exam, ranging from its conducting organisation to the fees and application process.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is a standardized English test conducted by the British Council, IDP IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment test. Like TOEFL, IELTS is used by universities and organisations to assess the English language proficiency of non-native English speakers.
Who can take the exam?
All those students who are planning to pursue a career mostly in UK, Canada, New Zealand and some universities in USA can give the test. The IELTS score is also accepted by various professional organisations across the world. Around 3000 Universities around the world accept the IELTS score.
What is the exam fees?
The exam fees is Rs.11,300 which needs to be paid at the registration time. The money is paid to the British council, the conducting body of IELTS.
What is the exam structure?
The test duration has a total time of 2 hours and 55 minutes. Students are required to complete listening, reading and writing in one sitting. While the speaking test may be taken on the same day or up to seven days before or after the other tests.
The exam has four parts:
- Listening: The time duration is 40 minutes. It consists of four sections. The number of questions in each section is ten. Every section starts with a short introduction to the test taker regarding the situation and the speakers. The student is given some time to look through the questions. The questions are in the same order as the information in the recording, so the answer to the first question will be answered before the answer to the second question.
- Reading: The time duration is 60 minutes. The reading paper has three sections. The questions ranges from multiple choice, short-answer questions, identifying information, identifying writer’s views, labeling diagrams, completing a summary using words taken from the text and matching information/headings/features in the text/sentence endings. Students will lose marks for incorrect spelling and grammar.
- Writing: The time duration is 60 minutes. The writing paper has two tasks in which both tasks must be completed. Task 1 has writing assignment which has writing task of at least 150 words in about 20 minutes. Task 2 has writing assignment which has writing task of at least 250 words in about 40 minutes. The penalizing concept is that students are penalized if their answer is too short or does not relate to the topic.
- Speaking: The time duration is 11–14 minutes. The test includes a face-to-face interview between the test taker and an examiner. It has three sub-sections each around 4-5 minutes or 3-4 minutes.
How to register for the exam?
To register for IELTS exam students have follow these steps:
- Log on to www.ieltsidpindia.com.
- Select the option “Register for IELTS”
- Select your test date and test city.
- Complete the online application form.
- Pay the test fee by credit card (Master / Visa).
- Get the seat booked and acknowledgement message.
What is the marking scheme?
The result comes after 13 days from the day of test. The marks are awarded on the scale of 1-9. A band score (from 1-9) for each section of the test (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking).
How long the IELTS score is valid?
The score is valid for 2 years from the test date.