How to crack TOEFL
To crack TOEFL students must know everything about the exam, ranging from its conducting organisation to the fees and application process.
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL, Test of English as foreign language, i.e TOEFL is a standardized test designed by ETS(Educational Testing Service) which administers the test as well. It tests the English speaking ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities mostly in US and Canada.
Who can take the exam?
For all those aspirants who want to get admission in English-speaking universities and programs around the world. TOEFL is accepted at more than 9,000 institutions in over 130 countries, including Australia, Canada, and the US. If you have given GRE exam and applying to GRE accepting abroad universities (mostly US and CANADA) you need to have TOEFL score likewise for many GMAT score accepting colleges TOEFL score is required. At the same time some professional institutions also require TOEFL score card for employees from foreign countries.
What is the exam fees?
TOEFL cost ranges from US$160 to US$250 i.e INR 10,400 to 16,250.
What is the exam structure?
The TOEFL test has two formats: Internet based test and Paper based format.
Internet based test: The test duration is of 3 hours 10 minutes to 4 hours 20 minutes (excluding 10-minute break in-between).
The internet based TOEFL sections are:
- Reading : No. of questions ranges from 36-56, the task is to read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions. The time limit given 60-80 minutes.The score ranges from 0-30 marks.
- Listening: No. of questions ranges from 34-51 questions, the task is to listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions.The time limit given 60-90 minutes. The score ranges from 0-30 marks.
- Speaking: There are 6 tasks, the task is to express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks. The time limit given 20 minutes.The score ranges from 0-30 marks.
- Writing: There are 2 tasks, the task is to write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing. The time limit given 50 minutes. The score ranges from 0-30 marks.
The paper based TOEFL sections are:
- Reading : The Reading Comprehension sections has 50 questions about reading passages. The time limit given is 55 minutes.
- Listening: The Listening section consists of 3 parts. The first one contains 30 questions about short conversations. The second part has 8 questions about longer conversations. The last part asks 12 questions about lectures or talks. The time limit given is 30 – 40 minutes.
- Structure and Written Expression : The Structure and Written Expression section has 15 exercises of completing sentences correctly and 25 exercises of identifying errors. The time limit given is 25 minutes.
- Writing: The TOEFL PBT administrations include a writing test called the Test of Written English (TWE). This is one essay question with 250–300 words in average. The time limit given is 30 minutes.
How to register for TOEFL?
You can choose the available test center where you want to give the test and see what dates are available at that test center. Registration is available three to four months before the test date. All you have to do is to go to the official ETS website and follow these three simple steps
- First, select your location to see the available test dates and test centers in your area.
- Next, create a profile and click Confirm. This takes you to your Home Page where you will register.
- Under My Tests, select Register for a Test.
On the official website there are options to register through email and phone as well.
How long the TOEFL score is valid?
Your TOEFL score is valid for two years after the test date. It is possible to retake the exam once again after 12 days of giving the exam.
57 total views, 6 views today