CAT EXAM – 5 Must Do Things to crack CAT VARC | Preparation Strategy | Topic-wise weightageAnisha Mukhija
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension preparation strategy
In this article, we will discuss the five ‘Brahmastra’ to nail the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension Section.
If we look at CAT 2021 paper, out of a total of 66 questions, 24 were from the VARC section highlighting its relative importance. To crack this section, you just need to get 16 right, and you will be good to go!
So, let’s get on with the strategy to nail VARC.
1. Develop a nice reading habit – A nice target for you would be reading 50 Aeon Essays. We have stressed enough upon this in one of the previous articles – https://catking.in/cat-2022-preparation-most-important-topics-for-cat-exam-section-wise-strategy/. Start with Aeon Ideas, then move on to Aeon Essays, and finally Aeon Psyche. Do this, and you will sail effortlessly through the troubled waters of Reading Comprehension.
2. Build a good vocabulary – For this, read Norman Lewis’s Word Power Made Easy. There won’t be direct questions on vocabulary, but it would help you with tricky RCs having some tough words.
3. Make a routine to practice and solve RCs every day. If you find them lengthy or tedious, start with 1 RC per day, then slowly build it up to 2 per day, then 3, and so on…
4. For Para jumbles, Para summary, and out of context, practice the questions regularly and develop your own set of thumb rules.
5. Out of the 7 days in a week, dedicate 2 full days to the VARC section and a bit of math for this; 28% of your week for a section that has around 33% weightage should be just enough, right?
All right folks! That’s it from our side
Best of luck and prepare hard!
Also Read: –