It is difficult for someone new to find out the best way to start a career in Analytics. As this industry is in its new phase, hence it gets difficult to find proper guidance. Also, there is a buzz created about Business Analytics but very actually understand these terms. There is a limited well-designed path which one could follow to enter the field. To build a career in Business Analytics you can follow two approaches-
Like any other employment skill, there are 2 approaches to enter an analytics career:
- Approach 1 – Get in touch, hired or trained by a company on the required skills be it on job or internal training.
These would be companies which have Analytics in their system and use it for their day to day decisions. This approach is better from long term perspective but yes it takes time and investment. Some of the companies known for using cutting edge Analytics (in India) are:
- Technology leaders: Google, Facebook, Linkedin
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI): Capital One, American Express, ICICI, HDFC
- Telecom companies: Idea, Vodafone, Airtel
- Analytics Consultancies: Fractal, Mu-Sigma, Absolutdata, ZS Associates
Else you can also go for internship. It will give you altogether 2 months to extract as much knowledge as you want to know this industry closely..
- Approach 2 – Get Business Analytics related certification: These certifications will provide you with in depth knowledge of all the technical knowledge and skills required for this industry but will not be able to give you the real life experience of the job or the industry which on job trainings provide.
- For people with work experience, various leading academic institutes run certification courses.
- For beginners, there are many certification courses available. Getting these certification courses can increase your chances of getting hired in some of the best companies.
While these are two ways to gain knowledge for starting a career in Analytics, there are smaller tips which you can follow to increase your awareness. You should keep on reading about this subject. Nothing is going to be enough. As much as you read, you are likely to be more expert. Keep reading blogs and books. There are any workshops and conferences on this particular topic, you can always go have an idea about the industry. Go through the training materials which are available on the internet. Talk to people related to this industry. And try to get an internship. You just need to have faith and work hard.