Hijab Controversy Part 1Anisha Mukhija
let us learn about hijab controversy in India
What is Hijab?
- Head covering
- Worn by Muslim women
Questions related to Hijab
Is Hijab Good or Bad?
- Points in favor of Hijab – Part of the tradition
Ethically and morally good
Protection under Article 25
- Points against Hijab – Patriarchal Symbol
Force from community to wear it
Should girls wearing hijabs be denied education?
No, rather girls should be made educationally empowered to break the social shackles.
What are the arguments concerning the Hijab ban?
- Women should be free to wear what they want
- Maintain public order
- Promote social harmony
Freedom of Choice:
- Do women really have a choice in wearing Hijab or has it been forced by the community?
How is Indian Secularism different from Western Secularism?
- Complete separation between state and religion
- Equality between the different religious groups is focused
- No interference of the state in religious reforms.
- Watchful ambivalence of state on religious affairs
- Equality within different sects of religion is also focused
- The state can support religious reforms.
- Opened up a new line of controversy and also a way of exploitation.
- Girls who used to wear Hijab may feel alienated.
- Quite possible that their parents may drop their studies to follow their practice.
- May increase the girls’ dropout and education rate. Girls may get pushed backward socially.
- Central and State Governments must ensure that such incidents do not take place.
- Central Government may frame a uniform policy for the whole country.
- It will promote social co-existence and unity among different religious groups.