Is India ready for Electric Vehicles?Anisha Mukhija
What are Electric Vehicles?
- Use one or more electric motors for propulsion.
- Have a battery that is charged through an electric supply.
- Stored electric energy is used to power the electric motor.
- Electric Trucks
- Electric Buses
- Electric Bikes
- Electric Trains
- Electric Scooters
Electric Vehicles: A Necessity
- With alarming pollution levels and increasing petrol prices, switching to EVs is no longer an option. It is a necessity for India.
- We need cleaner air and EV is the solution.
But can India undergo a transition from conventional cars to environmentally friendly Electric vehicles? Let’s find out!
- Petrol and diesel loot will not affect you
- Very beneficial for the environment
- Helps in fighting against climate change
Some of the countries leading the race for EVs are –
Norway is at the top: Fact – In 2020, out of all new cars sold in Norway, 74% of them were electric cars. This is a world record and 2/3rd of the cars being sold in Norway are Electric Cars.
Benefits of Electric Vehicles
- Environment friendly
- Energy Security
- Less maintenance
- Reduction in noise pollution
Steps were taken by the Government of India
- FAME(Faster Adoption and manufacturing of Electric Vehicles)
- Incentives of money/cash will be given to people if they buy electric vehicles.
- Reduction in GST
- GST Imposed on electric vehicles was reduced from 12% to 5% in August 2019 which is a commendable action.
In 2017, GOI announced that by 2030, all cars being driven in the country will be electric cars. Later they said that 30% of the total vehicles will be EVs to make it more realistic.
- It’s a good thing to switch to EVs, as it is an environment-friendly option but the government should ensure that the transition will be smooth.
- We will not have to rely completely on foreign countries for petrol and diesel and will be a step towards Self Reliant India.
How to improve accuracy in mocks