Launching the website for IIM Amritsar, the mentor IIMK has declared the shortlisting and selection process for the admission at IIM Amritsar in Punjab.
The Registration and verification process for admission for –
First batch of PGP 2015-17, IIM Amritsar
Beginning on- June 29, 2015
Closing – on July 3, 2015.
• Ranking IIMs like IIMB and IIMI in mentorship to their proposed new IIMs, the IIM Kozhikode, mentor IIM for IIM Amritsar has announced the opening of admission process for the maiden PGP batch 2015-17 of upcoming IIM Amritsar.
• The mentor IIM Kozhikode responding to the query when IIM Amritsar is starting its academic program has responded “IIM Amritsar will start its first academic program, Post Graduate Program (PGP) in Management in July 2015”
• Claiming that IIM Amritsar is the 15th IIM in the family of IIMs, IIM Kozhikode has launched the website of IIM Amritsar, the 4th among the proposed 6 new IIMs whose websites and admission process have been announced. Going by the system, although IIM Amritsar could be the 15th IIM as per the Budget 2014 announcement, it becomes 17th IIM after IIM Nagpur (14th IIM); IIM Sirmaur (15th IIM); IIM Bihar (16th IIM) whose admission process and websites have been launched.
• IIM Amritsar website specifically mentions all about the proposed beginning of the first batch at the IIM with proposed selection criteria, infrastructure, fee structure and faculty arrangement from IIM Kozhikode which is expected to continue till next 3 years, thereby giving the best learning experience of IIM Kozhikode to the students of IIM Amritsar.
Intake at IIM Amritsar
Prior to Cabinet meeting on June 24, 2015, IIM Amritsar was planning to go ahead with 60 students as other IIMs have published on their website. Since Cabinet has approved an intake of 140 students for the first PGP batch 2015-17, IIM Amritsar has refrained from divulging the proposed intake in the first PGP batch.
IIM Amritsar: Admission schedule
• The website of IIM Amritsar http://iimk.ac in/iimamritsar/index.php has categorically specified the important dates for the different steps of PGP 2015-17 admission process. Candidates desirous of seeking admission opportunity to IIM Amritsar should meticulously adhere to these deadlines.
• Registration and verification process for IIM Amritsar has opened on June 29, 2015 and will close on July 3, 2015. If you fulfill the admission criteria for admission to IIM Amritsar and wish to be considered for admission, you are supposed to register and get the details verified by July 3, 2015.
• IIM Amritsar proposes to announce the first merit list on July 6, 2015 and the candidates offered admission in the first merit list should submit their acceptance latest by July 12, 2015.
• The second merit list for admission to PGP 2015-17 batch at IIM Amritsar will be announced on July 13, 2015 and the last date for submission of acceptance of admission offer by the candidates whose names appear in the 2nd merit list is July 20, 2015.
From July 22, 2015 onwards, IIM Amritsar will directly contact the candidates over phone for admission.
Admission seekers to re-confirm interest
• IIM Amritsar has asked the prospective students who registered for IIM Punjab in CAT 2014 and have met the shortlisting criteria to confirm their candidature by login to IIM Amritsar website in the admission section with their CAT 2014 registration number and email id.
• The already registered candidates for IIM Punjab in CAT 2014 have been asked to confirm their interest for admission to PGP at IIM Amritsar. It has been considered necessary as in CAT-2014, when candidates applied, they had expressed their interest in “IIM in Punjab”. Now, the location is known to be Amritsar. Further, during the time that has passed, many applicants may have already confirmed other options for admissions.
• Given the relatively short time available for IIM Amritsar admissions, the institute would not like to spend time on people who are no longer interested in IIM Amritsar.
• The admission offers in each IIM are independent of others and therefore accepting or rejecting an offer from any other IIM will not affect chances in IIM Amritsar, or vice versa.
IIM Amritsar: shortlisting & selection Criteria
• The shortlisting Criteria for eligibility to be considered for admission to Post Graduate Programme in Management, 2015-17 based on CAT 2014 cut off at IIM Amritsar would be more or less same as that of IIM Nagpur, Sirmaur and Bihar. Candidates not meeting the eligibility criteria will not receive any communication.
• Please note that eligible candidates who do not reconfirm their interest in admission to IIM Amritsar by July 3, 2015, shall be excluded from being considered for admission to IIM Amritsar for the 2015-17 batch.
• IIM Amritsar website says “The admission to the programme is through a rigorous and internationally acclaimed Common Admission Test (CAT) followed by GD/WAT and PI.” The candidates who have scored high sectional and overall percentile in CAT 2014 as detailed below and have participated in GD/PI/WAT process for new IIMs are supposed to be considered for admission in IIM Amritsar.
• The shortlisting criteria for IIM Amritsar is proposed on the lines as adopted by other proposed 3 IIMs whose admission criteria have also been announced.
Faculty from IIM Kozhikode to teach for 3 years
• IIM Kozhikode will mentor all activities at IIM Amritsar till it moves to its permanent campus (about 3 years later), or IIM Amritsar is able to handle these activities entirely on its own, whichever is earlier. Since recruiting full-time faculty is a fairly long process, during the mentorship period and while IIM Amritsar’s own faculty are recruited, faculty members from IIM kozhikode will be delivering courses at IIM Amritsar.
• This may include a few visiting faculty selected by IIM Kozhikode to meet their exacting standards. The overall design, quality and delivery of PGP will be to the standards and with direct involvement of IIM Kozhikode. Candidates going to join IIM Kozhikode should expect to see some of the best faculty members in the country today.
IIM Amritsar: Fee structure
• The tuition fee for IIM Amritsar is going to be around Rs. 9 lakhs for 2 years. IIM Amritsar will share the exact amount and details of breakup will be given in the admission offer. Leading banks routinely offer educational loans at concessional terms as per Govt. of India guidelines for all IIMs including IIM Amritsar.
IIM Amritsar Campus
• IIM Amritsar would commence its operations and activities in the transit campus located inside the Punjab Institute of Technology, Government Polytechnic Compound till its own infrastructure and campus is setup and ready for use. The facilities consist of classrooms, recreational space, activity rooms, library, computer and sports facilities. The transit campus is located close to Guru Nanak Dev University (GNDU) Campus.
• Site for the permanent campus of IIM Amritsar is already provided by the Government of Punjab and finalized by the site-selection committee set up by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India. IIM Amritsar campus is proposed to come up at a site near Manawala on Amritsar-Jalandhar GT Road in 60 acres of land area.
Proposed placement at IIM Amritsar
• IIM Kozhikode proposes to carry forward its legacy in placement at IIM Amritsar. According to IIMK “While IIM Amritsar is new, since its initial operations are being handled completely by IIM Kozhikode (IIMK), more than 18 years of IIMK’s history of excellence in management education becomes directly available to IIM Amritsar. In due course of time, IIM Amritsar will undoubtedly evolve its own distinct character and reputation”.
• The students at IIM Amritsar in the first and subsequent PGP batches can hope for a very good placement as happened at IIM Kozhikode with an average placement package of Rs. 14.92 lakhs and highest placement going to Rs 29.5 lakhs in 2015.