What percentile do I need to get a call from IIMs

What percentile do I need to get a call from IIMs

Lowest Percentile required for IIM call

Most people think that if they can secure more than or at least 97 percentile in CAT, they stand a chance to get into IIMs which is partly true. However, each IIM has its own criteria for selection of candidates. There are so many parameters that sometimes even a 100 percentiler cannot be sure of getting calls from all the IIMs. Your academics, profile, work ex, diversity all factor in, besides the CAT percentile. So, the question remains what percentile do I require to get a call from IIMs?

How to get IIM Call with basic preparation

IIM admission process involves three stages. The first stage is the minimum percentile requirement in CAT, which differs from IIM to IIM. The second stage consists of WAT (Written Ability Test) / PI (Personal Interview) or AWT rounds. Shortlisted candidates from second round go through to the third stage where extracurricular activities, work experience, the academic record is weighed in. On the basis of all these three stages, you get an admission into the premier management institute of India. One important requirement to qualify for getting shortlisted by the IIMs is scoring high and balanced sectional percentile in CAT.

Also Read: CAT Analysis

The overall cut-off for top IIMs is as follows:

IIM Ahmedabad: 80

IIM Bangalore:     90.6

IIM Calcutta:        90

IIM Lucknow:       90

IIM Indore:           90.5

IIM Kozhikode:    90

Practice with actual CAT Mocks and get a call from IIM-A, B, C, L, I, K

Most of the new IIMs have their cut-off requirement set at 85 with IIM Shillong having cut-off set at 70 in CAT. One surprising fact is the actual cut-off data of IIMs goes on to show that for many IIMs, the actual CAT cut-off is much higher than what institutes announce prior to shortlisting for the further process of the institutes. Except a few of them, the actual interview cut-off of the majority of IIMs falls in the range of 96 to 100 percentile in CAT while the announced cut-off being in the range of 80 to 90 percentile.

IIM Ahmedabad:

A weight of almost 70 percent is allotted to your CAT score, while the remaining 30 percent is based on the application rating score. The estimated percentile for CAT is above 99 for the general category, which demands a requisite of a constant range of 70-75 marks in all the sections of the CAT examination. While the reserved categories demand a 50-65 marks range.

Also Refer: IIM-Ahmedabad

IIM Bangalore:

IIM Bangalore mainly focuses on a highly successful academic background and several other factors like work experience, extracurricular activities, etc. When compared to other top IIMs Bangalore requires a much higher percentile and cut-off. For general category aggregate of 90 marks is required, while it is around 60-80 marks for other reserved categories.

Also Refer: IIM-Bangalore

IIM Calcutta:

The estimated cut off percentile for IIM Calcutta is 95 and above. The cut-offs of the sections are quite same as of IIM Bangalore with an aggregate of 90 marks for the general category and a 70-85 marks range for other reserved categories. IIM Calcutta too, gives a huge weightage to educational and professional qualifications and work experience.

Also Refer: IIM-Calcutta

IIM Lucknow:

The cut-offs are classified into 3 categories for IIM Lucknow, namely PGP, PGP- SM and PGP-ABM. The estimated cut-offs for each of the sections are 90, 86 and 80 marks respectively (for the general category). The cut off for the other reserved categories range from 77-83 and 69-73 in the two other categories. So, an overall minimum percentile requirement of 90 for IIM Lucknow is necessary. Female candidates get two extra points.

Also Refer: IIM-Lucknow

IIM Indore:

IIM Indore requires an overall percentile of 90 and above. With a 50-80 marks range for the reserved categories and 90 marks for the general category, IIM Indore also emphasizes on your score in X and XII and your graduation. The Personal Interview carries a huge weightage of 35 percent for final selection into the institute.

Also Refer: IIM-Indore

IIM Kozhikode:

The overall percentile for IIM Kozhikode is also around 90, with a sectional range of 80 marks and 90 marks aggregate for the general category and 65-80 marks for the reserved categories. This institute awards a bonus of 5 percent for gender and 2 percent for academic discipline. If selected for the Personal Interview, the chances of getting into the institute are high as the PI carries 45 percent weightage.

Also Refer: IIM-Kozhikode

Therefore, one thing is certain that a good score in CAT alone won’t guarantee you admission in the IIMs. You need to focus on and weigh in other variables as well to have a better chance at the admission.






Share this post