The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. In 1944, it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was declared Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act (UGC), 1956.
Since its inception, the Vision of the TISS has been to be an institution of excellence in higher education that continually responds to changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards creating a people-centred, ecologically sustainable and just society that promotes and protects dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all.
- TISS offers M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D in the following areas:
- Management and Labour Studies
- Law, Rights and Constitutional Governance
- Human Ecology
- Health Systems
- Disaster Management
- Development Studies
- Habitat Studies
- Social Work
- Media and Cultural Studies
Admission Process and Eligibility
Tata Institute of Social Sciences conducts TISSNET (Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test) and entrance exams to provide admission to candidates in PG courses.
- a) Candidates having a bachelor’s degree with minimum of 3 years duration or its equivalent ( under the 10+2+3 or 10+2+4 or 10+2+2+1 year bridge course pattern of study or any other pattern fulfilling the mandatory requirements of 15 years formal education) from a recognized university are eligible to apply
- b) At the time of applying candidates studying in 3 year degree progremme should have passed in all the subjects for the 1st to 4th semesters and candidates studying in 4 year degree progrmmes should have passed in all the subjects for 1st to 6th semester.
- c) Only those Candidates who will be able to complete all the requirements of their final year Bachelor’s Degree examinations by Saturday, June 02, 2018 are eligible to apply to all the programme.
- Suvamoy Roy Choudhury
Director- Human Resources, Vodafone
- Santrupt Misra
Director Global Human Resources , Aditya Birla Group &; CEO, Carbon Black
- Nitin Nahata
Director, Global Human Resources ,TATA Global Beverages
Ibteda is the annual conclave of School of Development Studies brings together leading social theorists, development researchers, market leaders, practitioners of art and aesthetics and students from various colleges across Mumbai to engage in various issues of contemporary relevance.
Quintissence is the Intercollegiate annual intercultural and literary festival of TISS. The competitions ranged from classical, folk and contemporary dances to the theatre, acapella and various musical medleys.
Pangaea is annual schools fest of Habitat Studies, brings together keen minds with an interest in reconceptualizing our future. With a healthy mix of academic and non-academic events, Pangaea is an important learning experience for all
- Batch Size: 405
- Fresher: 24%
- Work experience <2 years: 66.67%
- Work experience >2 years:33.33%
Placements & Fee Structure:
- Average Package (INR): 14,77000/-
- Fee (INR): 96,800/-
- Johns Hopkins
- United Health Group
- Marsh India
- Manpower Consulting ,Mumbai
- Synchrony Financial
- SAXO Bank
- Franklin Templations Investment
- Tech Mahindra
Infrastructure and facilities:
- Medical Facility
- Wi-fi campus
- Sports Complex
Tata Institute of Social Science
V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar,
Mumbai, Maharashtra 400088