CAT Verbal Ability Preparation: 30 Days Self Study PlanAnisha Mukhija
The Common Admission Test (CAT) 2022 is round the corner. CAT is a National Level Entrance Test that is conducted every year in November. The Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section hold a great weightage in this exam.
The VARC Section of CAT:
VARC stands for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension. This section tests the knowledge of the English Language. This section dreaded by most MBA Aspirants, especially engineers or those from a technical background, is the Verbal section. Students find it hard to score in this section even after a lot of practice and cannot comprehend why that happens. That’s why to score well in this section the candidate must start with VARC with the right approach.
General tips to study for VARC:
You must follow the following points to ace the VARC section of CAT 2022:
- Make reading a daily habit by practicing 1 to 2 hours a day.
- You should read articles from a variety of sources (newspapers, editorials, magazines, essays in Aeon, etc).
- When solving comprehension questions, develop the habit of understanding the overall idea based on the passage’s context.
- It is only through practice in CAT 2022 that you will be able to ace this section.
VARC Weightage in CAT 2022:
|Subject||Expected No. of Questions||Marks|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||24||72|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||20||60|
Daily schedule to crack VARC in CAT 2022 for the next 30 days:
- Read Aeon essays for 30 minutes: In order to improve your scores in Reading Comprehension, candidates are highly recommended to read as many aeon essays as possible. Candidates are expected to read extensively about Aeon ideas and Aeon psyche. The focus should be on speed reading of aeon essays- minimum of 3000 words per day, and engage in topics like nature, social sciences and philosophy.
2. 30 minutes for Verbal Ability questions: Practice questions from Verbal Ability will improve the accuracy in VARC CAT 2022. Aspirants should make it a daily habit of practicing 5 para jumble questions, 5 para summary questions, and 5 out of context questions.
3. Solve 2 Reading Comprehensions within 30 minutes: Reading Comprehensions is an important section of CAT and if practiced well, then it’ll be very easy to score well in the paper. Candidates can pick any 2 questions from either mock papers, or past year question paper and solve it.
Books and guide you can follow for Self-preparation:
For self preparation one can rely on past year question papers and mock tests. Candidates can also take help of CATKing mock tests, which are made as per the expected pattern of CAT 2022. Also it is advised to practice questions from books like‘100 must solve questions’ of CAT. Practice questions from CATKing Bible LOD level1 and CATKing LOD level2.
Refer to these study materials.