Important quant topics for CATMeghna Chauhan
Aspiring management candidates can prepare for the all India most competitive management entrance exam by carefully devising study plan and proper knowledge of the syllabus. The CAT syllabus Exam is divided into three major sections – Quantitative Ability (QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR), and Verbal & Reading Comprehension (VARC).
The questions and time duration for each section is given below:
- Verbal & Reading Comprehension (VARC) with 34 questions and1 hour
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR) with 32 questions and1 hour
- Quantitative Ability (QA) with 34 questions and 1 hour
The questions can be MCQs or subjective.
CAT Quantitative Ability Syllabus includes the following topics:
- Number System: Be clear with the basic concepts of this topic.
- Arithmetic: Arithmetic has a vast number of sub-topics.
- Algebra: This has been one of the most dominant topics in CAT so place extra emphasis on this topic.
- Geometry: This topic has covered portion in recent years.
- Permutation & Combination/Probability: It covers one to two questions to the exam.
- Miscellaneous Topics: This includes Set Theory, Trigonometry, and Logarithms
Number System Syllabus for CAT
Given below are some of the topics that you should cover in Number System
- Basics of Numbers
- Properties of Numbers
- Divisibility Rules
- Divisibility and Factors
- Highest Common Factor and Lowest Common Multiple
- Finding Out the Last Digit
- Finding Out Last Two Digits
- Number of trailing zeroes
- Finding out Remainders
- Based on basic divisibility rules
- Based on Binomial Theorem
- Based on Simplifying the Dividend (Single and/or Multiple Divisors)
- Fermat’s Theorem
- Euler’s Theorem
- Pattern Recognition and cyclicity of remainders
- Wilson’s Theorem
- Base Systems
- Conversion of Bases
- Addition / subtraction / multiplication in different bases
Arithmetic Syllabus for CAT
- Mean Median Mode
- Ratio and Proportion
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Profit and Loss
- Mixtures and Allegations
- Time and Work
- Time Speed and Distance
Algebra Syllabus for CAT
- Basics Algebraic Formulae
- Linear Equations
- Problems on ages
- Number of integer solutions
- Quadratic Equations
- Finding out roots
- Maxima and Minima
- Higher Degree Equations
- Descartes Rule of Signs
- Modifications of graphs
- The smallest value in a maximum function
Also read: Speed calculation techniques for CAT
Geometry Syllabus for CAT
- Lines and Angles
- Triangles – Basic Concepts
- Area, Angles
- Similar Triangles
- Solids / Mensuration – 3D Geometry
- Co-ordinate Geometry
Modern Math Syllabus for CAT
- Sequence and Series
- Binomial Theorem
- Set Theory
- Permutation and Combination
PROCESS FOR CAT QUANT PREPARATION
For each topic in the Quant section, you must break the process into three steps:
- Learn the theory from first principles.
- Do lots of practice.
- Handle tougher questions by revisiting the theory.